Friday, November 7, 2014

Clothing War Zone


This morning I awoke to find that all my recently washed clothes were missing from the mini-mountain they formed on my basement floor. I started to panic...hadn’t my Dad threatened to throw them out if I didn’t put them away? In the fog of my morning sleepiness I vaguely remembered some admonishment of the sort, but I couldn’t be sure. I shook awake my sister, demanding an answer to where all the clothes had went--but she was none the wiser. After some vigorous calling of both my parents and house searching, I ventured outside in my short-shorts and low and behold, there they were dumped in a trash bag and thrown on my porch--looking crumpled, cold, and neglected. Why had my dad “thrown them away”? I have to go back a bit to explain. The clothes had gone through the traditional cycle of being thrown down the shoot (yes, we have a laundry shoot), washed in several loads, and then stuffed into 2-3 baskets, that then sat for about a week. At that week point, my Dad deemed it necessary to dump all the clothing out of the baskets and onto the basement floor--and after the clothing sat on the floor for 2 days he “threw it away.”
If someone were to ask me the topic of deepest contention in my family, I would say it was the cleanliness of my sister’s and my clothing. My Dad can’t stand it when we don’t put away the laundry (which we generate quite quickly), my mom is constantly yelling at us to clean up the clothing strewn about our room, and they both find ways for us to get rid of clothing--as my Mom is fond of saying, “quality over quantity!” In short, they think we have too much of it (which we do) and can’t understand why we are both so drawn to clothing (and why we always want more).
The thing is, I kind of agree with them--I do have way too much clothing, but it always feels like I have no clothing as well. I can’t really remember when my love of clothing and style started to manifest--but I think it stems from my Grandmother who shares my passion for clothing. In middle school I loved looking through copies of 17 Magazine, which evolved into Vogue (and their website which I guiltily spend way too much time on) the New York Times style section. With the discovery of thrift shops and all of my Mom’s old clothing in the basement, it became so easy to just acquire more and more. Even if a shirt on its own is just ok, the more you have, the more unique outfits you can make..and the cycle just repeats. But the question really is, when do you have enough. Currently, my room is taken up with two pretty sizable dressers (if it’s not apparent, my sister and I share clothes), two bins of sweaters, and a pile of clothes on the floor. Weather I like it or not, they subtly take over, sucking away all my space and sanity--because if I don’t clean them immediately then they slowly pile up and up, transforming my room into an unrecognisable war zone.
It’s one thing for me to say all of this, and it’s another thing for me to do anything about it. No matter how much getting rid of some of my clothing would make my life easier, it’s hard to bring myself to do it. That’s not to say that I don’t ever get rid of stuff, I do, but it usually is the clothing that has been sitting in the back of my closet for like five years--never the still large amount of clothing that I wear...or consider wearing...or can’t bear to get rid of because of the sentimental value. It’s a very first world problem, and sometimes I wonder if it’s even bad at all that I have a lot of cheap, yet cute clothing. I’m young, no one needs to be impressed by my sophisticated clothing. It’s merely a way to express myself--and the more “material” I have to do that, the more creative I can be. So, any thoughts? Is having too much clothing a bad thing? Or for the time being am I ok to live in excess?

3 comments:

  1. I like that you call it a "Clothing War Zone." Laundry is a struggle with me and my parents too. It's gotten to the point where I just have to do my own laundry. During the week, a pile of clothes accumulates on my floor, whether it's clothes that I throw there when I change into my pajamas at the end of the day, or clothes that I try on in the morning and decide not to wear that day, or sweaters and sweatpants that I lounge around the house in. Every Saturday I sort them out and put them trough the laundry, and it is so satisfying to have a clean floor and a full closet again. But I've felt the same way you do--should I feel bad that I have a full closet? I love being able to create so many different combinations, and dressing well makes me feel good. But when will I ever have enough? I can't say I really know the solution either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was funny to read, especially since I've been to your house and seen the piles of clothes and the closets and dressers and stuff. I think people's attraction to style and clothes is pretty interesting, especially there is such a disparity between people who really care about what their clothes say about them and people who don't feel effected by the clothes that they wear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so amusing Simone!
    I'm not that style savy, which my sister likes to remind me constantly, and so my mom is constantly asking to take me shopping to revamp my closet full of hand-me-downs from cousins, and my parent's friends children. I tend to have more money than my sister does and so I usually will buy something here or there and then tuck it away in my large closet. The irony is, while it has recently become apparent how much I need the closet space, I only cycle through maybe 12 shirts in the closet and save all the nice ones that I've bought for more special events. This drives both my mom and my sister crazy! My sister would love to shop every weekend and would kill to have my closet space (I sleep with one eye open :p ) and she can't understand my dynamics with clothing. Well what I tell her is, it's very complicated. So I appreciate hearing about your dynamics. My thoughts on having excess clothing is just kind of that I happen to have it, but when I bring up the bag of things I want to donate I feel guilty because instead of getting rid of the clothes I've had since 6th grade, I'm usually giving away pieces my mom has bought for me/ I have bought and then it feels like I'm wasting my money, my time, and my resources... but how you feel in the clothing, how creative you feel when picking out what you'll wear is really what's important and if having that large selection helps with that feeling then have no shame!

    ReplyDelete